Unshockable

#MetroLifeChurch #MinMChurch
Do you realize that Jesus is never surprised by the outrageous, imperfect things people do, you and I included?  

Picture this: Jesus meets some religious highbrows who tell Him a woman, that woman right there, was mixed-up in a sexual liaison. The scholarly are looking to stone her and they try to draw Christ into their debate. Thoughtfully,  perceptively, compassionately he draws close to her and asks: “where are your accusers...?” They had all split, taken off, left. In a voice, birthed in heaven, he says: "Well, I do not condemn you either; all I ask is that you go and from now on avoid the sins that plague you."

Truth be told, we all have a sundry of private struggles and skeletons in our closet - you have yours, I have mine. In my contemplative quiet times I’ve asked myself, what kind of Disciple am I if I can’t get somethings right, even after 35 years of walking intently with God? 
Then it dawns on me. What if one of the marks of a maturing Christian is the penetrating awareness that the strains and struggles in my life are there for me to name? Maybe one of the marks of a ripening Christian is this honest awareness and understanding of owning my story. All of it. Is it possible that embracing the fullness of who I am actually empowers me to be an author of transformation for myself and others? So I breath deep and settle in on the thought that my divine perfection is the ability to recognize, forgive, and include my imperfections. The richness of being human lies precisely in my lack of perfection. Just maybe Jesus wants Christ-followers who will be less like the Pharisees and more like him—unshockable.