Come Thy Fount 🎶


Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
I'll praise the mount I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy redeeming love

Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by Thy help I come
And I hope by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wondering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart Lord, take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above 
A wonderful, moving, classic song with some unfamiliar words in it - words that are largely obsolete in our modern language. 
Take Ebenezer for example. They don't mean Ebenezer Scrooge, from the Christmas Carol. The word Ebenezer appears in the Hebrew Scriptures, 1 Samuel 7:12 where Samuel raises a stone from the ground to mark his thankfulness for God's help defeating the Philistines. So in the song it says "Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy great help I've come." The author, is basically using that statement as an expression of thanksgiving for God's help. Giving thanks in everything shows a heart of faith; It shows that God is bigger than our perceived difficulties. C.S. Lewis wrote: "We ought to give thanks for all fortune: if it is good, because it is good, if bad, because it works in us patience, humility and the contempt of this world and the hope of our eternal country."
Another word is Fetter. In the song, it says "Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee".  Fetter means shackles, or some means of capturing someone or thing. The song’s author is saying, admitting, that his heart wanders, and he wants God to capture it, for the Eternal’s goodness.
I'm captivated this hymn. It’s a song of thanksgiving, and a song of prayer and repentance.   I can’t speak for you, but  personally have gone through some trying times; Made plenty of poor choices; Been attacked by the enemy and faced  temptations, fear and even  cowered a little in panic. But I can look back and see how far I have progressed in my spiritual life, and how Christ has liberated me from both myself and from the enemy. 
The anthem speaks to transparency, struggles and spiritual battles, while being also thankful to God ... precious.
So, "Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by Thy great help I've come. And I hope by Thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home — Shalom #pkes

#MetroLifeChurch   #MinMChurch