The church is far from perfect...

The church is far from perfect…but there's no better place for imperfect people to gather to worship a perfect God. 

I love what this blogger wrote: “I want a [church] service that is not sensational, flashy, or particularly ‘relevant.’… At church, I do not want to be entertained. I do not want to be the target of anyone’s marketing…”

As I age in my faith I find myself becoming exasperated with shallow and/or slick expressions of church. I look forward to gathering in community where there is prayerful confession, communion (meaningfully sharing the eucharist with others), preaching of the Word so it brings life where we expected death, and  anointing the sick — you know, those strange rituals and traditions Christians have been practicing for the past 2,000 years. It’s this sacramental liturgy that makes the church relevant, no matter the society, culture or era.  Sacramental liturgy is effective because in them Christ himself is at work - there’s no need for a marketing director or repackaging or rebranding. The sacraments just need to be explained, offered and practiced. 
Photo courtesy of Kirby Trapolino
#SacramentalLiturgy #MetroLifeChurch #minmchurch