Carry-on or Curbside Check-in

#MetroLifeChurch #minmchurch
I checked my flight bag with the curbside porter, tipped him five bucks to take my bag early. Now I'm sitting in Terminal C, Gate 29, waiting for a flight home - delayed, again. I'm noticing lots of people carrying backpacks, even folks who don't look like hikers have one slung over their shoulders. I wonder what's in their pack? How much stuff can you stuff in a knapsack for a week or even a weekend? There's something to be said for traveling light: 

"Take nothing for your journey,” [Jesus] instructed them. “Don’t take a walking stick, a traveler’s bag, food, money, or even a change of clothes..."  Luke 9:3


I'm thinking this is impossible? Christ sends his apostles out on a missionary journey without even the most basic elements of a traveler—no money, no luggage, no change of clothes, and no extra stuff. They are to depend upon those they serve and upon God to provide. I wonder how you and I would fare with these instructions? Not well I bet. Maybe that's why we haven't been sent out with a more pointed apostolic charge. Maybe we're better at bartering than obeying. Maybe our Christian faith needs to be not neurotic dependency but childlike trust. Finally boarding, peace...