Why Didn’t the Father Say No?!


Once there was this man who had two sons. One day the younger son came to his father and said, “Father, eventually I’m going to inherit my share of your estate. Rather than waiting until you die, I want you to give me my share now.” Why didn’t the father say no? Instead, he liquidated  assets and a few days later this young man gathered his wealth and set off on a journey to a distant land. Meanwhile, the eldest son stayed home, attended to the family’s affairs…and fumed. 
The young man blew his money on prostitutes and riotous living, he wasted everything he owned including his dignity. When the wealth was gone, when the shame was too great, when his options seemed limited, he headed home. 

The Prodigal Son-Rembrandt, c. 1669

It’s pretty cool to note that in this story of the Prodigal Son, that upon the son’s return home, the father never lectures him, asks for an explanation or demands an apology — he just demonstrates his love for his wayward kid. In fact, he is ready and eager to accept him back and forgive him. Period.  No matter what had transpired. The older son was appalled at his brother’s return.

The parable here should tease us into recognizing what we already know. Almost like a punch in the gut, I am the prodigal son every time I search for fulfillment, destiny, unconditional love, and happiness where it can’t be found.  I’m also the eldest son every time I fail to show mercy or grace or forgiveness. Which son do I reflect today? #pkes
#MinMChurch #MetroLifeChurch