Come Together or Lessons From a French Horn Musician


I don’t trust a theologian who dismisses the beauty of science or a scientist who doesn’t believe in the power of mystery.” ~ Brené Brown

As a minister, I find value to listening to ppl from both wings of American politics. Conservative or liberal, both are wings on the same bald eagle. So I listen intently to each side’s thoughts and opinions. Mostly, I see value in the person who is speaking. In general, and broadly speaking, liberals and conservatives both consider that they alone are motivated by their caring for mankind, while at the same time opining their opponents don’t care as much. More often than not, when two opposing political groups fail to listen to each other, when they fail to engage, civilly, the net result is political polarization, condemnation and stagnation.

With the help of my beautiful adventurous wife, I stumbled a cross this impressive TED Talk. That’s a polite way of saying she made me listen to it while I was in the car and driving. I was not disappointed that I tuned in. This poorly titled engaging brief, 14 minute talk, by a French Horn artist and social scientist, Arthur Brooks, is totally worth a listen. Here he shares ideas — what we can each do, individually,  to break the political polarization gridlock gripping America. He says: “We might just be able to take the ghastly holy war of ideology that we're suffering under and turn it into a [healthy] competition of ideas.”  
Ask yourself, is it possible, can  we come together?...#pkes
#MetroLifeChurch #MinMChurch