God Said - Oh Please!


From the church where I had my spiritual awakening, while in seminary, and in the churches where I’ve pastored, I’ve heard and uttered the words: ‘God Said’
I have to confess, the few times I spilled those two words, those seven letters, I felt pretty spiritual. Pretty special. I also recall hearing other ministers, men in leadership pronouncing, ‘God Said’ And with that phrase all questions were shut down. Discussions ceased. No one is allowed to engage, because of with that statement. After all, who wants to argue with God? But that’s exactly why saying ‘God Said’ can be so dangerous, it's a discussion ender. Let’s be honest with ourselves, often, ‘God Said’ is just hyper-spiritual code for: “I want to” but with a slick spiritual veneer. 

I’ve repented of the misuse of this brief but caustic phrase. And I encourage my colleagues and readers of this article to consider the potential harm that follows its use, or the culture that allows it. Does God work through our desires? Does He respond to our prayer? Will He make himself well known - feeling his undeniable presence?  Absolutely.  All that I am; all that I can be; all that I can imagine is a gift from  God. As ‘believers’ we’re wired to our Creator- He will lead us and guide us. But sometimes we need to be judicious and cautious with our words…  
#pkes #MinistryinMotion #MetroLifeChurch