Comfortably Numb 🎶


🎶 When I was a child

I caught a fleeting glimpse

Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look but it was gone

I cannot put my finger on it now

The child is grown

The dream is gone

I have become comfortably numb ðŸŽ¶ 


Comfortably Numb is a song by the English rock band Pink Floyd, released on their eleventh album, The Wall. Originally it was  a single with "Hey You" as the B-side. "Comfortably Numb" is one of Pink Floyd's most famous songs, renowned for its two guitar solos. (checkout the second, which David Gilmour begins at about the 4:40 minute mark) The hit song ranked number 314th on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. 


Often the word “numb” is often used to describe a physical sensation - my fingers or toes are numb from the cold. The word “empty” commonly applies to physical objects, such as, “This basket is empty.” Most people don’t give much attention to the feeling of being emotionally numb. Psychologists have seen countless people who seem absolutely fine on the outside, while walking through life feeling either empty or numb, or both, on the inside. I wonder how much truer this is, especially during a quarantined pandemic? According to the Mayo Clinic, "...the coronavirus disease’s  pandemic has changed people's lives in many ways. In addition to feeling grief over ... life (interrupted), you're likely grieving the loss of your normal routine..."


A Garden Story. What I remember next of that night in Gethsemane was Jesus shaking us awake. Wake up,” He kept saying. The hour is almost here.” What hour, I asked? ... What’s going on? What am I missing? Those of us with Jesus in the garden tried our best to stay alert, wake, but we could not. When Jesus woke us again, He said “that the time was at hand.” 


Shaken awake by the Christ — maybe that’s what it takes in today’s society to shatter our ‘normal’ and stimulate us from being comfortably numb. Perhaps during these uniquely odd times, we have been mercifully shaken awake.  May we in unity, pray to continue to stay awake and walk as the disciples of Christ. Putting aside that which can dull our senses, let’s get back to better: Living, Loving, Caring and Following. Christ, awaken us… for maybe we have become #ComfortablyNumb.





 Office[at]minm.church

 #MininstryinMotion #pkes