Coming Home

"We shall not cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring / Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time.” —T. S. Eliot, Four Quartets 

Richard Rohr wrote recently: “In the metaphor of life as a journey, I think it’s finally about coming back home to where we started.”


Reading these thoughts stirred me to thinking about my personal story, which is not highly publicized, well known or particularly noteworthy to anyone but me. But it’s mine. I own it now and for all generations to come or as long as I’m remembered. 

Reading and rereading Rohr’s brief quote concerning coming back home, I’m given to and almost overwhelmed by pause: the beginning beauty and simplicity of my life’s genesis. Not necessarily my family of origin, but my ideals, my expectations, my explorations. Beautiful maybe sometimes illusive and slippery concepts like: equality, justice, life, playfulness, curiosity, friendship, hugs and smiles. 

If life is a journey and getting home is where we started, may I get there soon …… but not too soon.
A Sunday Thought … Pkes    MinM