Treading Water


I’ve been getting a little guff recently, all but accused of having a one-track mind - my Messages, Sunday Thoughts and Blog Posts have an all too common theme, LOVE: Jesus (quoting Scripture): “Love the Eternal One your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second [commandment] is nearly as important, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 

Maybe my seemingly one track mind can be explained because I’m aging; Or feeling a bit more sentimental. Possibly I’m drawn to the rhythms of love because of what I see and experience in our society. I could blame it on the rain or the fact I grew up in the 60’s. Regardless . . . If I asked you to describe how you knew you were in love, how would you reply?
Maybe you know you are in love because you are: 

  • Being Comfortable & Vulnerable with someone; 
  • Sharing Intimate Details Of Your Life with that special person; 
  • Taking Their Opinions Into Consideration, not just your own; 
  • Feeling Committed; 
  • Experiencing Joy, not just happiness; 
  • Envisioning Them In Your Future Plans
Mastery not required. What if we began to apply these six  signs to our relationship with God? Think how amazed, how much easier, it might be to relate to others, those we’re in a close relationship with and those who are not so friendly.
We can only love others with our best because God first loved us & we in return love Him. Giving love away is a fundamental part of His nature, but sometimes we have to hone the skill.  
So to those critics who say I should consider curbing my love messages, I reply that I’m espousing and practicing a simple theology – embracing the complexity of Christianity but remembering that God’s precepts are basically just about love.  I’ll continue to tread into the deep waters of theology, but not so deep as to forget the simple...  #pkes #MinistryinMotion #MetroLifeChurch