Diversify Your Social Portfolio


The Apostle Paul wrote these words to the church in Rome: “…I don’t understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but [sometimes] I can’t…” People sometimes act in puzzling ways, making decisions or comments you can't possibly comprehend. I once had a pastor tell me he would rather share the Gospel of Jesus with someone who is a Christian. Insert my puzzled look here. What he was saying is he wanted to share the Gospel of love and acceptance with people who thought and acted like he did. Weird. Catholic theologian Karl Rahner wrote, "The number one cause of atheism is Christians…who proclaim Him with their mouths and deny Him with their actions [this] is what an unbelieving world finds unbelievable." Evangelicals have a habit of being a contradiction in behavior, between the message of Jesus and his Gospel, and their actions and attitudes. I pray you are not this contradiction, but try this simple test, none-the-less: Are most of your acquaintances of the same race, sexual orientation, financial status and religious belief as you? If you answer yes to one or more of these questions maybe you want to consider diversifying. Financial advisors tell us to diversify our financial investment strategies but we also need to diversify our social portfolios too. When we branch out, when we lean into the total culture God has surrounded us with, we begin to see & consider others as God regards us: with understanding, with forgiveness, with a tender heart and with grace.  
#MetroLifeChurch #minmchurch