What's Your Story?


Recently when I meet someone new I ask: "..so tell me a little about your story.." I could ask about their education, their family, their job or which city they're from, but asking about their story opens an entirely different conversation. According to the studies of narrative psychology, the stories we tell about ourselves are the key to our well-being. People tend to reply to my question about their story with broader facts, more personal, more interesting and with relevant intimacy. Now I have a deeper appreciation and understanding of the person I'm speaking with. Few people ask this question, of someone's story, well. Maybe it's because we're more interested in getting to the bottom line of a conversation than getting to know someone. Conversely, most folks don't know how to tell their story well. Or, they have so much to share they don't know where to start or when to stop. I like this icebreaking bridge: “..tell me about your prayers.." Ahh, our prayers, they're the stories that not only expresses our faith, but they telegraph what's deeply and profoundly important to us. Our prayers are a much more part of our story, than we think. In our prayers we expose what captivates our heart. Think about it...And, what's your story?
#MetroLifeChurch  #minmchurch