Beware the barrenness of a busy life

Socrates is credited with saying, “Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” Those words feel especially relevant today. For many of us, “I’m so busy” has become our default response, almost a reflex, an automatic reply.

“How are you?”
“Oh, I’m so busy.”

“Want to get together later?”
“I’d love to, but I’m too busy.”

“Could you help me with something?”
“Maybe, but I’m pretty busy.”



To be fair, many people truly are busy with meaningful and important responsibilities. There are seasons when full schedules are both necessary and good. But perhaps the more important question isn’t simply How busy am I? It’s What am I busy with?

Busyness has become a cultural badge of honor. We rush from one commitment to the next, often leaving little room for rest, meaningful relationships, quiet reflection, or attentive prayer. We fill our calendars, yet our souls can remain strangely empty.

A full schedule is not always a full life. Sometimes the greatest danger is not that we’re doing too little, but that we’re so consumed with activity that we miss what matters most.

The question, then, is not, “How busy am I?” but, Is my busyness rooted in love, guided by the Spirit, and aligned with the Father’s will?” Like Jesus, we are called not merely to fill our days, but to live them with purpose, presence, and peace...Pkes     



MinM